Shop Uptown: Curb Appeal and Sidewalk Cafe Permit Rebate Programs


Curb Appeal Rebate

Uptown United, in conjunction with Uptown Special Service Area (SSA) #34, is offering a Curb Appeal Rebateto Uptown business and property owners who make exterior improvements to their property. The program is intended for small business or commercial business owners who may be limited in their funding with the goal to help leverage funds in order to upgrade, preserve or restore storefronts and display windows or install creative new signage.

Rebates of up to $5,000 are available from Uptown’s SSA #34 through Uptown United for businesses and properties located within the Uptown SSA #34 boundary for projects that are able to meet the application’s design requirements and guidelines.

Questions? Call 773-878-1064 or email:

Uptown businesses that have received Curb Appeal rebates:

Hai Yen Restaurant
Miss Saigon Restaurant
The Shift Chicago
Miss Saigon Restaurant
Salon M
ABC & Me Daycare
Dahlia Food Market

NEW: First-time sidewalk cafe permit rebate program

Applicants who have had sidewalk cafes in the past and are renewing their sidewalk café permit are ineligible.

Sidewalk cafes contribute to a vibrant Uptown by activating public space, encouraging pedestrian traffic, and inviting interaction with businesses. Thus Uptown United, through Uptown SSA #34, launched this program to reimburse restaurants who are applying for a first-time sidewalk café permit for the $600 sidewalk cafe permit fee.

Sidewalk cafes in Chicago are permitted from March 1 to December 1 and the permit approval process may take up to 45 days. The rebate application must include a copy of your business’ approved 2017 sidewalk cafe permit. Rebates will be issued only to first-time sidewalk café permit applicants. Rebate funds are limited and this program is first-come, first-served. Rebates will be distributed in the order of applications received. Please allow up to four weeks to receive your rebate, if approved.

Sidewalk Cafe application must include:

• Completed forms with Aldermanic signature
• Business License Certificate
• Photographs of proposed site
• Plans with proposed layout, seating, and entrance
• Certificate of insurance