Uptown United is Uptown’s community economic development organization serving the entire Uptown community, from Irving Park Road on the south to Foster Avenue on the north, Lake Michigan on the east and Ravenswood Avenue on the west. Uptown United is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization lead by a volunteer Board of Directors.
Our mission is to build a strong, unified business environment; facilitate economic development; and strengthen community—all to nurture a diverse, vibrant, thriving, and strong Uptown.
We achieve our mission through marketing, advocacy, and technical assistance; facilitating economic development through smart urban planning, arts development, and business attraction; and strengthen community through capacity building and placemaking efforts.
In order to work most effectively, we are structured as an umbrella organization with three partner groups: Business Partners, The Chamber for Uptown, a separate 501(c)(6) membership organization with its own governance; Development Partners—developers, residents, real estate experts, urban planners, and property owners working to address development and infrastructure issues in the community by initiating planning projects and guiding private and public development, and Community Partners–that works to support Uptown’s many nonprofit organizations and service providers through professional development, advocacy, and networking activities. Uptown United also serves as the sole service provider for Uptown Special Service Area #34, a special taxing body that focuses on commercial and mixed-use corridor improvements and marketing efforts throughout the district.
Board of Directors:
- Suellen Long, Chair, Bridgeview Bank
- Lucio DiPaolo, Vice Chair, Business Partners, Aardvark Insurance
- Jacqueline Loewe, Vice Chair, Development Partners, Sheridan Park Consulting
- Mary Kay Gilbert, Vice Chair, Community Partners, Heartland Alliance Health
- Jacqueline Zanders, Secretary, Illinois Action for Children
- Rafael Leon, Treasurer, Chicago Metropolitan Housing Development Corporation
- Cindi Anderson, Uptown Chicago Commission
- Maria Barnes, Uptown Bikes
- Scott Baskin, Small Business Advocacy Council
- Edward (Ned) Budd, Thorek Memorial Hospital
- Amy Crawford, Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office
- Nadia Geigler, The Admiral at the Lake
- Shawn Jackson, Harry S Truman College
- Mary Laura Jones, Institute of Cultural Affairs
- Tam Van Nguyen, Chinese Mutual Aid Association
- Patrick Thompson, Manske Dieckmann Thompson
- Paul Tsang, Hon Kee Restaurant
Learn more about our staff.