Meet the new look!
It was unanimous—Uptown’s graphic image no longer fit its unique, vibrant, diverse community. It was time to step it up.
Along with need, Uptown United and Business Partners, The Chamber for Uptown recognized the delicacy and complexity of a whole new look—imagery both representative and aspirational. After interviewing several local graphic design studios, Firebelly Design was chosen to lead this project. Credited with branding Divvy, Dollop, Big Chicks, Chicago Market, the Rebuilding Exchange and a motto of Good Design for Good Reason™ it was an easy choice. Firebelly understood and appreciated Uptown—all it has been and all it hopes to be. A volunteer branding committee, comprised of local stakeholders, was formed to guide this project.
But a successful graphic identity can’t just look good—it’s got to be real. Firebelly gets that and conducted extensive research to inform their design. Through focus groups, online surveys, on-the-street intercepts, and in-person interviews, we heard from more than 500 Uptown residents, workers, visitors, business owners and nonprofit leaders. Firebelly learned firsthand what people love about Uptown, its challenges, and its opportunities. This market research shaped Uptown’s new look.
Flexible and dynamic, Uptown’s brand, wordmarks, colorways, font, messaging, and application reflect the diverse, lively community behind the brand. The upward angled underline becomes a symbol for Uptown and a framing device for layout, type, and image. This new brand seeks to stoke the love that long-time residents and business owners have for Uptown, to build neighborhood pride in newcomers to Uptown, and to incite the curiosity of visitors to explore all that Uptown has to offer.
Many thanks to our volunteer Branding Committee for their time and expertise:
- Suellen Long, Bridgeview Bank, Uptown United Board Chair
- Jackie Loewe, Sheridan Park Consulting, Uptown United Board Vice-Chair, Development Partners Committee Chair
- Lu DiPaolo, Aardvark Insurance, Uptown United Board Vice-Chair, Business Partners Board Chair
- Terry Tuohy, Weiss Memorial Hospital, Uptown SSA Commission Chair
- Ally Brisbin, 48th Ward Ald. Harry Osterman’s Office
- Heather Fritz & Andrew Johnson, Cedar Street Co.
- Ronna Hoffberg, Audience Logic
- Noreen Keeney, Resident, Uptown SSA Commissioner
- Patricia Nguyen & John Lee, Axis Lab
- Ryan Patterson, Heartland Heath Outreach
- Karl Sullivan, Wilson Abbey, Uptown SSA Commissioner
- Rich Troche, Everybody’s Coffee
- Nicole Vasquez, The Shift
The teams at Andiamo Creative and WPCrank were the architects of the Uptown United website.
Led by Rochelle Weiner Carr, Andiamo Creative is a full service branding and digital agency that focuses on building distinctive brands and marketing collateral including websites, email marketing and printed materials to help their clients market themselves effectively.
Philip Light and his team at WPCrank, a fully-managed WordPress website hosting company, make it their priority to ensure your site is cranking. Your website will be rigidly secure, lightning fast, well backed-up, and continually updated and monitored. Plus, get expert WordPress Support whenever you need.