Acclaimed TimeLine Theatre Moving to Uptown
December 21, 2018 | Posted by Martin Sorge
The award-winning theatre company recently purchased the property at 5035 N Broadway.
From TimeLine Theatre’s press release:
“This week, TimeLine completed the purchase of property located at 5033–5035 North Broadway Avenue in Chicago’s Uptown neighborhood. The property, which encompasses a five-story, 45,120-square-foot warehouse building plus a vacant lot near the corner of Broadway and Argyle, is planned as the site of a renovated facility to house our future operations and to support and expand TimeLine’s mission of presenting plays inspired by history that connect to today’s social and political issues.
“That mission is about making connections—between past and present, between art and audience, and between the issues that define our time and the future we will build together. It is a mission unique in Chicago, and beyond.”
TimeLine currently operates out of a 99-seat theatre space in Lakeview East, but is looking forward to greatly expanding their offerings at their new home in Uptown, including:
- “Two intimate and flexible black box theatres (250 and 150 seats, respectively) that can be reimagined for every show. Everything about the new theater designs will aim to maintain the intimacy between art and audience that is an essential part of the TimeLine experience.
- Space to support an expanded array of diverse programming and initiatives that support the company’s commitment to advancing equity and inclusion
- Public areas to create more immersive and interactive lobby experiences to explore the moment you enter the building
- Room to expand our Living History Education Program with additional student matinees, classroom experiences on site, summer theatre programs, adult education offerings, and much more
- The ability to build upon the company’s commitment to new play development, including through TimeLine’s Playwrights Collective”
Uptown United’s staff have been working closely with TimeLine for two years to make this dream a reality, and are thrilled to welcome yet another world-class entertainment venue to the neighborhood.
“Uptown United could not be more excited to welcome the acclaimed TimeLine Theatre Company to our neighborhood,” said Martin Sorge, Executive Director of Uptown United, “Entertainment and history are two pillars of our community, which makes Uptown the perfect home for a theater company with a mission ‘to present stories inspired by history that connect with today’s social and political issues.’ We’re thrilled to see how TimeLine’s innovative productions and educational programming will honor our community’s history and diversity, and we are excited that they chose Uptown for their future home.”